The theme of the book of Romans is righteousness. No one in and of himself/herself is righteous. Therefore, you must look at Jesus Christ and follow His example because He is perfectly righteous. Righteousness comes from God through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our lord Jesus Christ...” (Romans 5:1) AS a result we see that in the fifth chapter of Romans God gives six assurances.
- God assures peace. It is God who justifies you. He looks at you and listens to you when you confess your sins and He forgives. Because you have been justified by faith He assures that He will give you peace.
- God assures favor. Since you have been justified through faith you have God’s promise of favor. The psalmist declares, “O Lord, You bless the righteous; You surround them with Your favor as with a shield” (Psalms 5:12)
- God assures hope. Look at verse 2. Through Jesus Christ you “have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.” Hope is something you desire, you long for it. Hope helps keep you going when the going gets tough. God says that when your hope is in the glory of God you will not be disappointed.
- God assures purpose in your suffering. The suffering mentioned here is not so much physical as it is the kind of suffering that comes from living a righteous life. In fact, the Lord says that you can rejoice in your suffering because of what it produces in your life.
- God assures His overwhelming love. In verse 5 you are reminded that God has poured out His love into your hearts by the Holy Spirit. It was His great overwhelming love for you that led Him to die for you.
- God assures overwhelming joy. In verse 10 and 11 you can see that you have been reconciled and saved through Jesus Christ. Therefore, you can rejoice in Him through whom you have received reconciliation.
My friends, take time to rejoice in these six assurances you have received from God.